Do be cautious, however, as these Bak Kwa Cheese Muffins are best served immediately. Leaving them for the day after will cause them to be slightly denser (which I do not prefer). As such, I always recommend making them before serving, or making them in advanced and re-heating for an awesome snack. Afterall, savoury bakes tend to taste best warm!
Feel free to let me know if you have any questions and without further ado, the recipe for these Bak Kwa Cheese Muffins!
Bak Kwa Cheese Muffins Recipe
by Javier Tan November-13-2021
These Bak Kwa Cheese Muffins uses pork jerky (rou gan) with a mix of black pepper and cheese for a fragrant, savoury profile!
- 1 and 1/2 Cup or 170g of All-Purpose / Plain Flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon or 2g Baking Powder
- 2 Tbspn or 30g of Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 Cup or 60g of Cheese (I used shredded Mozzarella)
- 2 Large Eggs, 60g each incl mass of shell
- 1/4 Cup or 60ml of Milk
- 1/3 Cup or 75g of Unsalted Butter, Melted
- 1/2 Tsp or 2g Table Salt
- 3/4 Tsp or a generous pinch of Coarse Black Pepper
- Approx 3 pcs or 120g of Bak Kwa, chopped to small pieces
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees C and line your muffin tins with paper liners if using.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the melted butter, eggs and milk until you form a single consistency (Mix A)
- Then, in a separate bowl, mix together everything else: sifted flour, sifted baking powder, sugar, cheese, salt, black papper and bak kwa (Mix B)
- Fold Mix B into Mix A until you achieve a single consistency. Use a spatula and avoid whisking excessively as the muffin might become too dense.
- Transfer and portion batter into individual muffins or mini muffins.
- Bake for 20 – 23 minutes (regular sized muffins, makes about 6) or 14 – 16 muffins (mini muffins as pictured, makes about 24). The muffin should be golden at the end.
- Once done, remove and let cool for 20 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy, it’s best eaten on the day it self.
- Prep time: 30 mins
- Cook time: 30 mins
- Total time: 1 hour
- Yield: Stated in Step 6
- If you would like to be updated with more recipes which I strive to create to perfection for sharing and for free, do check out my Instagram, Facebook Page, or YouTube 🙂 Thank you so much for all of your support! Feel free to tag me or link back here!
- Serve fresh at room temperature (on the day itself and within a few hours).
- If storing, place in tight ziploc bag and in the freezer. Heat up using air fryer or oven, 180 degrees C at about 5 – 8 mins.
- Please do not copy and paste the recipe without my permission, but feel free to link back here!
– Bakeomaniac, Javier Tan