With Chinese New Year around the corner, these Cashew Cookies are perfect addition to the array of treats for this festive season. It has a nice and mild nutty aroma with a crumbly texture to it, perfect for tea breaks!
I did face a dilemma making these cashew cookies on whether to use lard or butter. However, I believe that using butter still achieves the traditional taste. Furthermore, its also halal and ensures that the quality is retained even if you are using butter.
This is likely to be attributed to the richness of the roasted cashew nuts to achieve the nutty flavour profile of the cookies. It is extremely important for the cashew here to be roasted before grounding it to bring out their flavour. Otherwise, the final taste can be relatively mild!
In all honesty though, I do like my own baked goods but the ones sold by the experienced bakeries are indeed a different level. This recipe does produce decent quality Cashew Cookies but it certainly can’t match up to them who do it so regularly for their business using a secret recipe. I hope I will be able to achieve that level some day!
In the meanwhile, I am enjoying these cookies and I hope all of you will too!
Should you like to bake these, the recipe can be found below!
Cashew Cookies Recipe
by Javier Tan December-15-2019
Fragrant and crunchy, these nutty Cashew Cookies are a good addition to any tea time snack tables!
For Cookie Batter:
- 1/2 Cup or 120g of Unsalted Butter, Softened at Room Temperature
- 2/3 Cup or 110g of Cashew Nuts, Roasted and Grounded (Using blender)
- 1 and 1/3 Cup or 165g of All-Purpose / Plain Flour
- 1/2 Cup or 60g of Powdered Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons or 5g of Milk Powder (optional)
- 1 Large Egg, weighing approx 60g
- 1/2 Teaspoon or 2.5ml of Vanilla Essence (1.25ml if using Extract)
- 1/4 Tsp or 1.4g of Table Salt
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 60-80g Cashew Nuts
- Roast all the cashew nuts at about 160 degrees C for 6-9 minutes or until golden brown and fragrant. Stir around every 2 minutes for even cooking if needed. Then, set aside 110g for grounding to be used in the cookie.
- Then, preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- Cream together the unsalted butter and powdered sugar until creamy and light yellow (approx. 3 minutes).
- Next, beat in the egg to combine.
- Add vanilla essence and salt and stir well.
- Then, add in the ground roasted cashew and milk powder and stir well.
- Next, fold in the flour.
- Place between 1 tablespoon (17g-20g) of batter rolled into a ball for each cookie. Place a cashew nut on top of each if desired and then brush with the egg yolk wash.
- Bake for about 16-20 minutes or until golden brown. If your cookies spread too much, place it in the refrigerator for an hour or add 15g more flour.
- Finally, serve and enjoy!
- Prep time:
- Cook time: 20
- Total time: 1
- Yield: Approx 30-40 nutty Cashew Cookies!
- If you would like to be updated for more recipes which I strive to create to perfection for sharing and for free, do check out my Instagram, Facebook Page, or YouTube 🙂 Thank you so much for all of your support! Feel free to tag me or link back here!
- Best eaten within 7 days!
- Feel free to ask if you need help!
– Bakeomaniac, Javier Tan