There are other variations that you can explore for these Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies too! For a start, you can consider replacing 30g of the flour with cocoa powder for a dark chocolate version. Additionally, you can switch up the toppings such as through the use of finely chopped nuts.
However, a note of caution will be to use ingredients that are easily sliced by your cookie cutters. Else, it will lead to unevenly shaped cookies. Alternatively, and if using stickier or harder to slice cutters, you can consider using larger cookie cutters.
A piece of good news for these Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies is that they can be made in advance and stores well in the refrigerator for at least 1.5 – 2 weeks. Do ensure that you store them in a sealed ziplock bag to retain the moisture of the cookies and to let them come to room temperature before working with them.
I have included a video for your reference. Without further ado, the recipe!
Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies Recipe
by Javier Tan November-06-2023
These fragrant and buttery Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies are clearly Santa approved, especially when it goes with a cup of milk!
- 1 Cup or 230g Butter, Unsalted
- 1 Cup or 115g of Powdered Sugar, Sifted
- Pinch of of Salt
- 2 Tsps or 10ml of Vanilla Essence
- 2 and 2/3 Cup or 300g of All-Purpose Flour, Sifted (+ More for rolling)
- Approx 3/4 Cup or 150g of Dark Chocolate Chips (+/- 50g, to personal preference)
- Cream together the butter and powdered sugar until well-combined (about 2 minutes).
- Next, whisk in the vanilla and salt.
- Fold in the sifted flour and dark chocolate chips.
- Subsequently, roll out the batter between two sheets of parchment paper; flour if you need to.
- Next, use your cookie cutters to make your desired shapes.
- Once done, bake at 180 degrees C for 10.5 mins to 13 mins or until browned around the edges. You might have to adjust the baking time accordingly depending on how big your cutters are.
- Then, let cool for 10 minutes before serving!
- Prep time: 2 hours
- Cook time: 30 mins
- Total time: 2 hours 30 mins
- Yield: 60 Mini Cookies (dependent on size of cookie cutters!)
- If you would like to be updated for more recipes which I strive to create to perfection for sharing and for free, do check out my Instagram, Facebook Page, or YouTube 🙂 Thank you so much for all of your support! Feel free to tag me or link back here!
- The cookies store well alone for at least 1.5 weeks; however, timing might differ depending on factors such as humidity. Best to use a dessicant and airtight containers.
- Please do not copy and paste the recipe without my permission, but feel free to link back here!
– Bakeomaniac, Javier Tan