Now onto the introduction of these Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes. Each of this cupcakes come with a fluffy, moist and rich dark chocolate cupcake base. I cut back on the amount of sugar to compensate for what will be used in the frosting! Then, they are topped with a generous layer of refreshing Peppermint Buttercream. I topped mine off with shavings of dark chocolate for a further boost in flavours and for aesthetic purposes. I really wanted to top it off with crushed candy canes, but they weren’t available yet as of now!
The making of these Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes is rather straightforward and easy. It requires just simple mixing and will be even easier if you have a handheld electric mixer.
A challenge you may face, as I did, will be to pipe these Cupcakes. A word of advice from me is that it is perfectly alright to re-pipe again. Speaking from experience, I wasn’t happy with my first round of piping. Hence, I scooped it all out and re-piped again. It is perfectly alright and will still be equally delicious.
Without further ado, the recipe! Pssst, you can watch the video for a rough gauge on the various steps too!
Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes Recipe
by Javier Tan November-07-2023
These Dark Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes are moist, fluffy and refreshing. I absolutely love the flavour harmony between chocolate and mint!
- 1/2 Cup or 120g of Unsalted Butter, Melted (Or Veg Oil, or Half Butter, Half Veg Oil)
- 1/2 Cup + 2 Tablespoons or 130g of Granulated White Sugar (I used 145g)
- 1 Cup or 240ml of Milk, Room Tempearture (or 160ml milk + 80ml coffee for richer flavour)
- 2 Eggs, large, 55g each
- 1 and 1/2 Teaspoon or 6g of Baking Powder
- 3 Tablespoon or 22g of Black Cocoa Powder (For a greater contrast, else use 30g of Cocoa Powder)
- 1 Tablespoons or 8g of Normal Cocoa Powder
- 1 and 1/4 Cup or 145g of All-Purpose Flour, Sifted
- 1 Teaspoon or 5ml of Vanilla Essence
- Pinch of salt
Peppermint Buttercream Frosting:
- 1/2 Cup + 1 Tbspn or 140g of Unsalted Butter, Softened at Room Temp
- 2 and 1/3 Cup or 250g of Powdered Sugar, Sifted
- 2 Tsps or 10ml of Peppermint Essence / Extract (to adjust to preference, start with 5ml first and taste)
- Green food colouring, to preference
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C and place paper liners in your cupcake / muffin tin.
- Whisk together the cooled, melted butter and sugar together until well incorporated.
- Next, whisk in the two eggs.
- Then, whisk in the vanilla, pinch of salt, and milk until a single consistency is formed.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder separately (dry ingredidents).
- Sift in the flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder half at a time and fold until it is of a single consistency. Do not over mix.
- Distribute the batter evenly until its about 2/3 full and bake until it has fully risen, approx 18 – 22 minutes. The center should be bouncy to a light touch of a spoon.
- Next, set aside the cupcakes to cool for approx an hour or two before frosting.
- Serve and enjoy!
Peppermint Buttercream Frosting:
- Firstly, cream together the butter and powdered sugar.
- Secondly, whisk in the
- Finally, set aside to cool for 10 – 20 minutes before piping it!
- Prep time: 3 hours
- Cook time: 20 mins
- Total time: 3 hours 20 mins
- Yield: 12 – 16 Cupcakes
- If you would like to be updated for more recipes which I strive to create to perfection for sharing and for free, do check out my Instagram, Facebook Page, or YouTube 🙂 Thank you so much for all of your support! Please do not copy and paste the recipe without my permission, but feel free to tag me or link back here!
- Serve fresh at room temperature (on the day itself) or in a fridge (up to a week)
- If storing the cupcake with no frosting in the freezer (up to a week), seal it in plastic wrap or an airtight container. Leave at room temperature for 40 minutes before serving!
– Bakeomaniac, Javier Tan