These Nutella Tarts come with a fragrant buttery biscuit base with a soft and creamy Nutella topping. Double baked as dainty little cookies, these make a perfect addition to any tea table, especially for Nutella and chocolate fanatics! I am honestly in a lost on what to name them. An alternate name would be Piped Nutella Cookies!
Baking with Nutella can be challenging as too high temperatures can burn or alter its flavour. However, piping the Nutella on top directly will not be feasible either as it would be sticky and goopy. Therefore, the best way is to bake it a second time to fix the Nutella.
In fixing the Nutella, it allows the piped Nutella to harden nicely while retaining the decorative shapes. If you are not up for it, you could simply scoop spoonfuls of Nutella on top of the cookies too, or dip it!
Apart from the Nutella fixing, I would say it is a relatively easy recipe. The other problem I can foresee would be rolling of the dough and using the mould. This would not be challenging so long you work patiently with the dough and allow it to cool sufficiently! Be generous with the flour on your working surface to make your rolling easier.
On top of which, I have attached a picture of my piping tip and mould above for reference. I have no idea what type or number of piping tip it is, but you could use any that you like. Would appreciate if anyone can give me any insights too! I just like the little roses it pipes out!
Without further ado, the recipe!
Nutella Tarts Recipe
by Javier Tan May-03-2020
These Nutella Tarts come with a fragrant and melt-in-your-mouth butter cookie base with fixed Nutella piped across in pleasing decorative patterns!
- 1/2 Cup or 115g of Unsalted Butter, Softened at Room Temperature
- 1 and 1/2 Cup or 180g of All-Purpose / Plain Flour (and extra for flouring the surface)
- 2 Tablespoon or 35g of Granulated White Sugar
- 2 Tablespoon or 20g of Milk Powder (Optional)
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1/4 Tsp or 1.4g of Table Salt
- 1 Tsp or 5ml Vanilla Essence
- 300g of Nutella
- Cream together softened butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Then, add in salt, egg and vanilla before mixing well.
- Sift the flour and milk powder.
- Next, fold in the dry ingredients into the mixture containing the well-mixed butter, sugar and egg yolk.
- Once completed, refrigerate the batter for 25 minutes. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 160 degrees C (or 325F).
- Then, flour a clearn surface and roll out the dough until about 0.5cm thickness.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut out the dough and transfer to baking tray.
- Bake for about 12min 45 to 13min 45s or until it is starting to brown on the edges.
- Leave to cool for about 30 minutes.
- Then, pipe your Nutella filling over the cookie. These filling will not expand.
- Bake an additional 8-10 minutes at 140 degrees C. If it cracks or bubbles, lower the temperature to 120C – 130C.
- Prep time: 60
- Cook time: 20
- Total time: 1
- Yield: Approx 30 Nutella Tarts
- If you would like to be updated for more recipes which I strive to create to perfection for sharing and for free, do check out my Instagram, Facebook Page, or YouTube 🙂 Thank you so much for all of your support! Feel free to tag me or link back here!
- Best eaten within 5 days!
- Feel free to ask if you need help!
– Bakeomaniac, Javier Tan