You would certainly be in disbelief if I share with you that these fudgy Protein Workout Brownies are not just lower in calories and sugar, but even boosted in nutrition. These Protein Workout Brownies are always my go-to whenever for that extra boost without going cold turkey on the sugars!
Before diving into the recipe, let me first explain the recipe tweaks made to ensure that these brownies are healthier for the waist.
The traditional brownie recipe tends to be more calorie-rich due to the generous amount of butter for that fudgy finish. However, the same can be attained using low-fat milk or plant-based milk to substitute some of that butter. Furthermore, using these lower fat percentage milk does not compromise on how luxurious brownies can be.
Next, less sugar can be used for these Protein Workout Brownies. Cutting back on that sugar amount will achieve the purpose of it being less fattening as excess sugars are stored as fats. Because of which, expect these brownies to be not as sweet.
Further healthier modifications could be made of course, it need not stop here.
Using 70-90% chocolate chips helps cutting back on the sweetness while boosting the decadence of these Protein Workout Brownies. In addition, use sugar substitutes such as Stevia to effectively reduce overall sugar content.
Be wary of the dry ingredients content, however. Carefully adjust the proportions of flour and protein powder (depending on type) to prevent a dry finish.
Ultimately, the world of brownies are extremely flexible and its up to you to experiment to achieve the texture and flavour you like! For me, these worked out real well!
Protein Workout Brownies Recipe
by Javier Tan October-13-2019
Decadent and nutritious, these Protein Workout Brownies give that extra protein boost without being too sinful at all with its lower calorie content.
- 1/4 Cup or 60g Unsalted Butter, Cut into Cubes
- 3 Tablespoons or 45ml of Low-Fat Milk (or Plant-Based Milk)
- 2 Large Eggs, each weighing 55-60g inclusive of shell
- 1 Teaspoon or 5ml of Vanilla Extract (double if using Vanilla Essence)
- 1/4 Cup or 20g of Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 – 1.5 Scoopful or 20-30g of Protein Powder
- 1/4 Cup or 50g of Granulated White Sugar
- 1/2 Cup or 100-120g of semisweet Chocolate Chips (can use 70% too)
- 2 Tablespoons or 20g of All-Purpose Flour (Optional, use it if you like Cakey brownies)
- Additional chocolate chips for topping (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 160 degrees C and line your 8 x 8 inches baking tray with parchment paper.
- First, melt the butter with the milk and stir until the butter has completely melted. Next, add in the chocolate and mix until a single consistency is attained.
- Then, set aside for 10 minutes to cool.
- Mix in the sugar, two eggs and vanilla extract.
- Next, mix together cocoa powder, protein powder and all-purpose flour(if using) in a separate bowl and then sift.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients into the wet batter and fold until no dry clumps of ingredients can be observed.
- Bake for about 24 – 27 mins at 160 degrees C.
- Set aside to cool before cutting and serving!
- Prep time: 2
- Cook time: 3
- Total time: 0
- Yield: 1 8 x 8 inch tray worth of decadent Protein Brownies!
- If you would like to be updated for more recipes which I strive to create to perfection for sharing and for free, do check out my Instagram, Facebook Page, or YouTube 🙂 Thank you so much for all of your support! Feel free to tag me or link back here!
- Chill it before serving. You can keep it up to 5 days! I topped it off with extra chocolate before baking for an additional dimension to the texture but you can certainly omit it.
– Bakeomaniac, Javier Tan