While this Red Velvet Cake makes a two-layered cake recipe, feel free to halve it if you prefer your cake single-layered! Furthermore, you can refer to my Red Velvet Cupcakes recipe if you would like these little cakes in a different form.
Making this Red Velvet Cake is easy and extremely rewarding. Again, the tangy cream cheese frosting is definitely my favourite part!
Do feel free to reach out if you have any questions and I hope you enjoy this recipe!
Red Velvet Cake Recipe
by Javier Tan November-08-2020
The complex flavours of this Red Velvet Cake matches so well with the silky, tangy Cream Cheese Frosting. Each bite of this cake is sure to be delightful!
- 1/2 Cup or 115g of Unsalted Butter, Softened at Room Temperature
- 3/4 Cup or 150g of Granulated White Sugar
- 2 Large Eggs (each weighing 55g, weigh incl shell)
- 2/3 Cup or 160ml of Milk
- 1/6 Cup or 40g of Flavourless Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon or 2.5g of Distilled White Vinegar
- 1 and 3/4 Cup or 200g of Plain Flour
- 1 Tablespoon or 8g of Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon or 3g of Baking Soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon or 2g of Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon or 5ml of Vanilla Extract
- Red Food Colouring, to preference (I used powdered form, about 1/2 teaspoon total)
- 1 and 1/3 Cup or 160g of Softened Cream Cheese (Room temp)
- 2 Teaspoons or 10g of Softened Butter (Room temp)
- 1 and 1/3 Cup or 150g of Powdered Sugar, Sifted (Can reduce to 120g if not piping and less sweet)
- 1/2 Teaspoon or 2ml of Vanilla Essence
- Up to 1 Tablespoon or 15ml of Milk (I start with 10ml first and then see the consistency)
For the Cake:
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C and line your 7 or 8 inches round baking tins with parchment paper.
- In separate bowl, mix together using a spoon, the milk and vinegar to make buttermilk (let stand 5 minutes).
- Cream together the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Next, whisk in the egg one by one until it is well-mixed and of a single consistency.
- Proceed to whisk in the vegetable oil.
- Sift in the cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and mix well.
- Then, stir in the vanilla essence and red food colouring until the desired colour is observed.
- Next, add in half of the buttermilk and whisk well. After which, fold in half of the flour.
- Repeat step 7 with the remaining half of buttermilk and flour until a single consistency is achieved.
- Divide the batter evenly into two baking tins and bake for 23 – 25 minutes or until springy to touch and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Then, leave the cake to cool for 30 minutes before frosting.
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Mix the cream cheese and softened butter until a spreadable consistency.
- Add in the vanilla and mix well.
- Whisk in the sifted powdered sugar in two portions.
- Add in milk and mix until the desired consistency is attained.
- Prep time: 40 mins
- Cook time: 40 mins
- Total time: 1 hour 20 mins
- Yield: 1 Delectable Red Velvet Cake!
- If you would like to be updated for more recipes which I strive to create to perfection for sharing and for free, do check out my Instagram, Facebook Page, or YouTube 🙂 Thank you so much for all of your support! Feel free to tag me or link back here!
- Serve fresh at room temperature (up to two days) or in a fridge (up to a week)
- If storing the cake with no frosting in the freezer (up to a week), seal it in plastic wrap or an airtight container. Leave at room temperature for 20 minutes before serving!
- Please do not copy and paste the recipe without my permission, but feel free to link back here!
– Bakeomaniac, Javier Tan