As these Teh Tarik Cupcakes have sweeter notes, bear in mind that sweet tooths will enjoy them more! Nonetheless, you can modify it to your liking. For instance, you can reduce the amount of frosting used (e.g. a dollop).
Apart from their sweeter flavour profile, these Teh Tarik Cupcakes are flavourful and delicious! Additionally, they are easy to make and a simple bowl and whisk will do. However, an electric mixer will make your kitchen journey in making these much easier too.
The most challenging part is likely to be the flavour profile. As we are using instant Teh Tariks from the satchets, it can be difficult to predict the outcome of the flavour profile. Hence, I will be providing a rough guide: based on a 18g satchet, I used 3 packets. For bolder flavours, consider using 4!
I’ve also provided a video guide for reference. However, please do feel free to let me know if you’ve any questions and without further ado, the recipe. Additionally, my inspiration for these Teh Tarik Cupcakes came from Fairprice recipe page. Substantial modifications have been made to the recipe.
Teh Tarik Cupcakes with Condensed Milk Frosting Recipe
by Javier Tan March-22-2023
These Teh Tarik Cupcakes with Condensed Milk Frosting is the perfect embodiment of Southeast Asian flavours with sweeter notes!
For Teh Tarik Cupcakes:
- 1/2 Cup or 115g of Unsalted Butter, Softened at Room Temp
- 1/4 Cup + 1 Tbspn or 65g of Granulated White Sugar
- 1/4 Cup + 1 Tbspn or 65g of Brown Sugar
- 2 large eggs, 55g
- 1 Tsp or 5ml of Vanilla Essence
- 1/3 Cup + 2 Tbspn or 100ml Hot Water
- Approx. 3 Satchets or 55g of Instant Teh Tarik
- 1 and 1/3 Cup or 160g of Plain Flour, Sifted
- 1 Tsp or 4g of Baking Powder, Sifted
- Pinch of salt
For Condensed Milk Frosting:
- 1 Cup or 230g of Unsalted Butter, Softened at Room Temp
- 1/3 Cup or 70g of Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1/3 Cup + 2 Tbspns or 40g of Powdered Sugar, Sifted (+ more for stiffer frostings)
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C and place paper liners in your cupcake / muffin tin.
- Before starting, make your Teh Tarik using hot water and Teh Tarik powder. Then, set aside to cool.
- Next, cream together the softened butter and two sugars until light .
- Then, whisk in the egg.
- After which, whisk in the Teh Tarik, salt (optional), and vanilla.
- Whisk in the dry ingredients (flour and baking powder).
- Distribute the batter evenly until its about 2/3 full and bake until it has fully risen, approx 16 – 19 minutes. The center should be bouncy to a light touch of a spoon.
- Next, set aside the cupcakes to cool for approx an hour.
- To prepare the frosting, cream together the butter, condensed milk and icing sugar. For stiffer frostings, add more powdered sugar (e.g. 90g).
- Pipe your desired patterns.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Prep time: 3 hours
- Cook time: 20 mins
- Total time: 3 hours 20 mins
- Yield: 10 Teh Tarik Cupcakes
- If you would like to be updated for more recipes which I strive to create to perfection for sharing and for free, do check out my Instagram, Facebook Page, or YouTube 🙂 Thank you so much for all of your support! Feel free to tag me or link back here!
- Serve fresh at room temperature (on the day itself) or in a fridge (up to a week)
- If storing the cupcake with no filling (up to a week), seal it in plastic wrap or an airtight container. Leave at room temperature for 40 minutes before serving!
- Please do not copy and paste the recipe without my permission, but feel free to link back here!
– Bakeomaniac, Javier Tan