Let me now explain why, along with the recipe method and choice of ingredients.
Why it tastes different from those Granola Bars that you can buy from stores is because the oats here are baked and toasted to bring out its full flavour and crunch. In addition, any nuts you have added, such as almonds in this case, will be toasted to full flavour and perfection as well. These steps are usually not done for those that you can purchase.
Apart from toasting the oats and the almonds, these Chocolate Chip Granola Bars have honey binding the ingredients together. Honey is not just a natural sweetener, but I am sure you agree with me that honey tastes way better than corn syrup or golden syrup. You don’t even have to use a high quality honey to observe the difference. I am using a jar of honey that I just bought from the supermarket, that is on the lower range of prices, and it still tastes good!
For the ingredients, the only notable mention for the dry ingredients will be the almonds. You will hardly be able to taste the almonds but I added it in for a nutty background flavour and an additional crunch. You don’t have to and can add more chocolate chips or other nuts definitely!
For the wet ingredients, measurement of these ingredients are crucial. You don’t have to be super precise but do not reduce any of these as they are measured carefully through experimentation to ensure that through this recipe, you will be able to produce a granola bar that sticks together nicely and not flake off everywhere!
Without further ado, let me proceed to share the recipe that got all my friends and family members that are crazy about!
Chocolate Chip Granola Bars Recipe
by Javier Tan October-29-2017
The usage of a natural sweetener, honey, along with the additional but fuss free step of toasting the oats and almonds in these bars ensure for a delightful and tasty treat without adding any extra sweeteners. These bars are full blown bursting with all natural flavours.
- 2 Cups or 225g Rolled Oats
- 3/4 Cup or 150g Mini Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- 3/4 Cup or 100g Almonds, Chopped Coarsely
- 1/3 Cup or 130 Honey
- 1/3 Cup or 75g Unsalted Butter
- 3 Tablespoons or 37g Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon or 3g Table Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon or 2.5ml Vanilla Extract
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C / 350F and line your 13″ x 9″ baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the dry ingredients, namely Rolled Oats, Chopped Almonds and the Chocolate Chips.
- In a saucepan, heat the honey, salt, butter and light brown sugar together at low heat until they are able to form a mixture, where all ingredients are well mixed. Stir from time to time.
- Settle aside and let it cool until room temperature so that it will not melt the chocolate chips.
- Once cooled, add in the vanilla extract to the saucepan and stir well. Proceed to add this mixture into the mixing bowl containing dry ingredients.
- Stir until you are able to observe that every single piece of rolled oat are coated ( they will appear much darker than the dry ones ).
- Transfer the mixture to your baking tray, producing a layer and evening it out with a spoon.
- Bake for about 18-22 minutes or until nicely golden brown. Since it varies from oven to oven, I strongly recommend you to observe carefully from the 18 minute mark to achieve maximum brownness from the toasting.
- Once done, cool the tray at a wire rack with the bars still in the tray for about an hour.
- After its cooled, cut and serve into slices.
- Prep time: 10 mins
- Cook time: 20 mins
- Total time: 30 mins
- Yield: 1 13″ x 9″ Tray
- Store well at room temperature or the refrigerator for at least two weeks.
- Please read the above recipe preview to understand the recipe method, choice of ingredients etc!
- To pin it, click here.
- If you are sharing this recipe on your social media, please do feel free to link it back here or give me a mention! Its a much appreciated reward and encouragement for the hard work I put in to create this recipe, to me! ( Not compulsory but its my personal wish! )
- If sharing on your personal website, please contact me for permission.
- For any questions, feel free to contact me on any of my social media platforms!
– Bakeomaniac, Javier Tan!