After the Chinese New Year season, I was in the mood for something healthier and heartier, yet something simple. What can fulfill these criteria, if not for some nutritious Currant and Chocolate Granola?
I am definitely in need of something healthier after all these unhealthy snacking. Also, the combination of Chocolate and Currants work out surprisingly well!
As usual, I will break down this chocolate granola recipe into three sections. Taste and texture, method of preparation and ingredients.
For the taste and texture, it is crunchy and wholesome!
There’s a variety of textures from the crunchy and well roasted oats, the chewy currants and the nicely melted chocolate chips!
Furthermore, the flavour contrast between the earthly oats, fruity currants and delightful chocolate is to be craved for!
I will personally make these a staple around my house!
Up next, the method of preparation!
There’s nothing simpler than making these granola. Melt up the honey, unsalted butter and a touch of sugar to create a mixture to coat all of the other ingredients. Then, simply mix them all up and you are off and good to go!
Stack them all up in a baking tray, and bake away!
For the ingredients, do note that you can use other forms of dried fruits as well, feel free to! I will recommend against using fruits that have not been dried as they can possibly make the granola soggy and will last shorter as they are more prone to fungus and bacteria attacks!
I will finally share the recipe for these amazing Granola now!
Chocolate and Currant Granola Recipe
by Javier Tan February-16-2019
Wholesome hearty flavours toasted to perfection! A nice combination of flavours and textures!
- 2 and 1/2 Cups or 300g Rolled Oats
- 3/4 Cup or 150g Mini Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- 3/4 Cup or 150g Dried Currants
- 1/4 Cup or 80 Honey
- 1/4 Cup or 60g Unsalted Butter
- 2 Tablespoons or 25g Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon or 1.4g Table Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon or 2.5ml Vanilla Extract
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C / 350F and line your 13″ x 9″ baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the dry ingredients, namely Rolled Oats, Currants and the Chocolate Chips.
- In a saucepan, heat the honey, salt, butter and light brown sugar together at low heat until they are able to form a mixture, where all ingredients are well mixed. Stir from time to time.
- Settle aside and let it cool until room temperature so that it will not melt the chocolate chips.
- Once cooled, add in the vanilla extract to the saucepan and stir well. Proceed to add this mixture into the mixing bowl containing dry ingredients.
- Stir until you are able to observe that every single piece of rolled oat are coated ( they will appear much darker than the dry ones ).
- Transfer the mixture to your baking tray, producing a layer and evening it out with a spoon.
- Bake for about 18-22 minutes or until nicely golden brown. Since it varies from oven to oven, I strongly recommend you to observe carefully from the 18 minute mark to achieve maximum brownness from the toasting.
- Once done, transfer them to airtight containers.
- Serve when you are ready to enjoy all that hearty goodness!11. Enjoy!
- Prep time:
- Cook time:
- Total time:
- Yield: 1 13″ x 9″ Tray
- Store well in an airtight container for up to 1.5 weeks. \
- If you would like to be updated for more recipes which I strive to create to perfection for sharing, do check out my Instagram, Facebook Page, or YouTube 🙂 Thank you so much for all of your support! Feel free to tag me or link back here!
- For any questions, feel free to contact me via any of my social medias or the comment section down below 🙂
– Bakeomaniac, Javier!