Friend or Foe? This luxurious yet simple Durian Cake will be satisfy all durian lovers’ cravings! It is a must make and must eat for all durian lovers out there!
Before starting on the explanation, I would like to give an acknowledgement of gratitude. Durian has always been too expensive for me to explore especially since experimentation can fail easily.
If any one would like to know more, you can either ask me, them, or I can write a separate post for my experience!
Now, I will proceed as per my usual style of the Taste and Texture, Ingredients and Method of Preparation.
For the Taste and Texture, this Durian Cake is nicely moist and definitely dense. It is luxurious yet not overbearing. The sweetness and amount of butter used for this recipe is also toned down in order to ensure that the Durian flavour is able to shine through, which is especially critical if you are using premium Durian!
Next up, the Ingredients.
There’s not much to be mentioned except the star of the entire recipe, the Durian. Regarding the quality, any durian will work. Definitely, the better the quality of the durian, the better the taste. Basically, this durian cake will taste almost just like the durian you used!
Also, the Method of Preparation.
Do note that it is normal to have small regularly sized holes that occur occasionally throughout your cake but you should still strive to minimize having big holes at all. For a read up, here’s the link.
How to Solve “Too Many Holes” In Cakes
Otherwise, this is a pretty straightforward recipe! Without further ado, let’s get to the much awaited recipe!
Durian Cake Recipe
by Javier Tan August-12-2018
Delicious yet fuss free, this Durian cake is a must make and must eat for all Durian lovers out there!
- 3/4 Cup or 175g Unsalted Butter, softened at room temperature
- 3/4 Cup or 150g Granulated White Sugar
- 1 and 1/4 Cups or 150g All Purpose/Plain Flour, Sifted
- 3/4 Teaspoon or 3g Baking Powder, Sifted
- 1/4 Teaspoon or 1.4g Table Salt
- 1/4 Cup or 60ml Full Cream Milk, Room Temperature
- 2 Large Eggs, 55g each, Room Temperature
- 1/4 Teaspoon or 1.25ml Vanilla Extract or 2.5ml of Vanilla Essence
- 150g Durian, mashed or pureed, Room Temperature
- Extra Durian flesh, for spreading if desired
- Preheat your oven to 160 degrees C and line your 8 x 8 inches baking tray with parchment paper.
- Beat the unsalted butter slightly for a couple of minutes to fluff it up and loosen it.
- Add in the sugar to the butter and cream both together until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs one by one, mixing well after each addition. Mixing well is important at this stage!
- Add in the Durian, vanilla extract and salt and mix well.
- Mix in the milk and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour and baking powder and mix well.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder mixture into the batter and use a spoon to fold it in to prevent over mixing.
- Transfer the batter to your lined baking tray and hit it against the counter a few times to dislodge excessive air bubbles. I did it in two separate times.
- Bake the cake for about 44-48 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. If nearing an hour and the toothpick comes out with just very fine lumps, it is considered fully baked as well.
- Cool at room temperature for an hour before serving. Serve by spreading durian flesh over the top of the cake!
- Prep time:
- Cook time:
- Total time:
- Yield: 1 8 x 8 Inches Cake
- Store at room temperature for up to 3 days. Tastes better overnight!
- If you would like to be updated for more recipes which I strive to create to perfection for sharing, do check out my Instagram, Facebook Page, or YouTube 🙂 Thank you so much for all of your support! Feel free to tag me or link back here!
- Feel free to ask me any questions through any platforms that I use!
- If you have ugly holes in your cake ( common problem ), check out how to troubleshoot here in future bakes!
– Bakeomaniac, Javier Tan