A light and fluffy cake, this Apple Cinnamon Sugar Cake comes with a nice cinnamon sugar crunch topping baked to crispiness with the natural sweetness of the apples. The coming together of Apple and Cinnamon together in this cake makes it a soothing flavour combination to savour!
Like my other recipes, I have done this for at least three attempts. I would say that this cake is definitely easy to do, but so difficult to photograph well (at least by my standards)! Since the picture could not show the apple chunks very clearly, I have decided to include some apples in the background!
Because this Apple Cinnamon Cake is really delicious and moist, do consume it within two days unless refrigerated. The perfect moist and fluffy cake is always a good host for bacteria and fungi, which we would not want!
Furthermore, I understand that some of you might find the cinnamon crumb top too excessive and sweet. Therefore, you can absolutely do without it but instead, add that cinnamon into the cake directly. The flavour will still pop, and it will still be an Apple Cinnamon Cake!
For the apples, and as much as we would like, there’s definitely a limit to how much you can add! The more apples you add, the more the cake will not be able to hold itself well. Throughout my experiments, I find 180g – 210g the safest, though you can go more but the cake will be more crumbly.
This is a simple cake and I hope you will enjoy it! Without further ado, the recipe!
Apple Cinnamon Cake Recipe
by Javier Tan April-15-2020
A delectable whiff of autumn, this Apple Cinnamon Cake is soft, fluffy and comes with an amazing cinnamon crunch topping. Easy to bake, even easier to savour!
- 1/2 Cup or 115g of Unsalted Butter, Melted and Cooled
- 1 and 1/2 Cup or 190g of All-Purpose / Plain Flour, Sifted
- 1/2 Cup and 2 Tablespoons or 130g of Granulated White Sugar
- 1/3 Cup or 80g Milk, Room Temperature
- 1 Large Egg, weighing approx 60g including shell, Room Temperature
- 1 Tsp or 5ml Vanilla Essence (2.5ml if using extract)
- 2 Tsp or 8g of Baking Powder, Sifted
- 1.5 – 2 Medium Apples, Chopped to 1/2 to 1 inch cubes (180 – 200g, only the flesh of the apples were weighed)
For the Crunchy Cinnamon Sugar Topping (Double if you feel its insufficient):
- 1 Tablespoon or 15g of Butter, Melted
- 1/4 Cup or 45g of Granulated White Sugar
- 3/4 Teaspoon or 3g of Cinnamon (4g for stronger taste)
- Line the 8 inch round baking trays with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 160 degreesC or 300F.
- Mix together the melted butter and sugar.
- Then, whisk in the egg, milk and vanilla until the mixture is of a single consistency.
- Then, fold in the sifted flour, sifted baking powder and apples. Mix in cinnamon if not preparing the cinnamon sugar topping. Transfer the batter to the baking tray.
- Next, prepare the cinnamon sugar topping by stirring all ingredients together.
- Spread the cinnamon sugar topping over the top of the cake as a layer.
- Then, bake for about 40 – 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out with only a couple of small crumbs at most.
- Cool for about 30 minutes before serving! Make sure to use a sharp knife as the apples can still be slightly firm!
- Prep time: 35
- Cook time: 45
- Total time: 1
- Yield: 1 Moist, Soft and Fluffy Apple Cinnamon Cake!
- If you would like to be updated for more recipes which I strive to create to perfection for sharing and for free, do check out my Instagram, Facebook Page, or YouTube 🙂 Thank you so much for all of your support! Feel free to tag me or link back here!
- Best eaten within 2 days!
- Feel free to ask if you need help!
- Its possible to use an 8 inch square pan (approx 3-5 minutes longer) or 9 inch square pan (same baking time).
– Bakeomaniac, Javier Tan