Nothing as yummy and light as this Chocolate Coffee Chiffon Cake! I’ve always wanted to make a mocha-flavoured chiffon cake. However, given the airy and spongey nature of chiffons, the mocha combination will be difficult to shine. Hence, I settled for a Coffee Chiffon Cake base, topped with a generous layer of milk chocolate and chopped walnuts!
The making of this Chocolate Coffee Chiffon Cake can be intimidating for beginners for a few reasons. Firstly, you will need to be comfortable whipping egg whites till stiff peaks. However, this is manageable with the aid of online videos and ingredients including cream of tartar or lemon juice.
Secondly, you need awareness of the techniques required. For instance, the folding of egg whites into the batter. For this, you can watch online videos including my previous video on banana sponge cake or the video below for a quick glimpse.
As these techniques do take time to master, feel free to use this Coffee Chocolate Chiffon Cake recipe as a practice ground. Additionally, you can feel free to reach out to me should you’ve any questions!
I also thought that it will be great to provide a quick write-up about the finished cake!
In terms of texture, this Chocolate Coffee Chiffon Cake is light as air and really fluffy. Each bite is so fragrant and aromatic thanks to the use of coffee. You can consider using more coffee or coffee flavouring for a stronger boost in flavours. Finally, I really like how the different textures come together here; the meltiness of the chocolate, lightness of the cake, and crunch from the toasted walnuts.
I hope I’ve tempted you to bake this, for I’ve tempted myself! Without further ado, the recipe.
Fluffy Chocolate Coffee Chiffon Cake Recipe
by Javier Tan April-08-2023
This Fluffy Chocolate Coffee Chiffon Cake is nicely airy, fluffy, and absolutely flavourful! They make the perfect breakfast and snack.
- 1/3 Cup or 70ml of Vegetable Oil (Flavourless, I use Canola)
- 1/3 Cup + 1 Tbspn or 100ml of Coffee + Milk (I dissolved 2 Tbspns of Coffee Granules into Milk, suggest to add 4 – 5 Tbspns for stronger flavour)!
- 5 Eggs, separated into Yolks and Whites
- 1 Tsp or 5ml of Vanilla Essence
- 1/3 Cup or 90g of White Sugar
- 1/2 Cup or 120g of All-Purpose / Plain Flour
- 1 and 1/2 Tsp or 6g of Baking Powder
- 50g of Melted Chocolate (Optional, Drizzle)
For the Cake:
- Pre-heat the oven to 150 degrees C and prepare your 10-inch round bundt pan aside or a suitable pan of your choice. Do not oil your pan.
- Firstly, whisk together the egg yolks and 45g sugar until frothy, approx 2minutes.
- Next, whisk in the vanilla, coffee + milk mixture and vegetable oil.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the baking powder and plain flour. Then sieve it and whisk it into the wet batter.
- Then, in a separate, clean bowl, whip the egg whites with the remaining 45g sugar until it achieve the meringue stage.
- Subsequently, whisk in 1/3 of the meringue into the wet batter until well-mixed.
- Fold in the remaining 2/3 of the meringue until you see an even colour throughout the batter. The batter will be watery.
- Pour the batter into the bundt or tube pan and hit it against the counter to dislodge excessive air bubbles
- Bake for about 45 – 55 minutes (10 inch), or longer if you are using a smaller pan.
- Once done, remove from the oven and leave the pan upside-down for at least an hour.
- Finally, unmould and enjoy! If desired, serve with melted chocolate and chopped toasted walnuts.
- Prep time: 1 hour 20 mins
- Cook time: 50 mins
- Total time: 2 hour 10 mins
- Yield: 1 x Fluffy and Soft Chocolate Coffee Chiffon Cake
- If you would like to be updated for more recipes which I strive to create to perfection for sharing and for free, do check out my Instagram, Facebook Page, or YouTube 🙂 Thank you so much for all of your support! Feel free to tag me or link back here!
- Store at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 4 – 5 days.
- Feel free to ask if you’ve further questions!
– Bakeomaniac, Javier Tan
Leave A Comment