The most challenging part of the making Jelly Roll Cakes is definitely the rolling part. However, I hope to assure you by sharing that this recipe produces a very flexible and fluffy cake that has yet to crack on me. In addition, make sure not to over-bake it or at overly high temperatures. This is because it can cause the exterior to be cracked more easily when the cake is dried.
Furthermore, feel free to customize this cake to your liking! I can foresee myself trying out a combination of jams for a start! Also, do ask for help or clarifications if you need them!
Without further ado, the recipe!
Fluffy Jelly Roll Cake Recipe
by Javier Tan November-15-2020
A fine complement of Whipped Cream and Jam, this Fluffy Jelly Roll Cake is inspired by the humble Jam and Cream Scones except fluffier and lighter!
- 4 Eggs, Large, 60g each, Separated into Yolks and Whites
- 3/4 Cup or 100g of Plain or All-Purpose Flour, Sifted
- 1/2 Cup or 100g of Caster Sugar (80g if less sweet)
- 1/2 Teaspoon or 3g of Baking Powder, Sifted
- A pinch of approx. 2g of Cream of Tartar
- 3 Tablespoons or 45ml of Milk, Room Temperature
- 2 Tablespoons or 30ml of Flavourless Vegetable Oil (e.g Canola) + Extra for Coating
- 1/2 Teaspoon or 2.5ml of Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 to 1 Cup or 150g Fruit Spread / Jam. Warm up slightly on saucepan for it to be spread easily.
- 1/2 Cup or 120g Heavy Whipping Cream, Cold
For the Cake:
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees C or 400 F and lightly brush the 15 x 9 inches baking tray with vegetable oil.
- Then, whisk together the egg yolks, milk, vegetable oil and vanilla together until it is of a single consistency (egg yolk mixture).
- Next, whip the egg whites into the meringue stage (click for more info). Add all the sugar in two portions as well as cream of tartar to aid in stabilization.
- Whisk in 1/3 of the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture to lighten it up.
- Then, fold in the egg whites in two portions to the egg yolk mixture.
- Fold in the sifted flour.
- Next, transfer the batter and spread evenly on the baking tray and bake for 13 to 16 minutes or until golden brown and springy to touch!
- Once done, let it rest for 5 minutes before removing it from the tray and placing it onto a large piece of parchment paper. Use a small fruit knife to dislodge from the sides if its too sticky.
- Then, roll gently using a piece of parchment paper or clean dish towel to prepare the cake for filling.
- Proceed to add the fruit spread and whipped cream (if desired).
- Top it off with powdered sugar and serve!
- Prep time: 40 mins
- Cook time: 30 mins
- Total time: 1 hour 10 mins
- Yield: 1 Fluffy, Awesome Jelly Roll Cake!
- If you would like to be updated for more recipes which I strive to create to perfection for sharing and for free, do check out my Instagram, Facebook Page, or YouTube 🙂 Thank you so much for all of your support! Feel free to tag me or link back here!
- Serve fresh at room temperature (up to two days, one if there is whipped cream) or in a fridge (up to four days).
- Please do not copy and paste the recipe without my permission, but feel free to link back here!
– Bakeomaniac, Javier Tan