If you say breakfast is the most important meal of the day, you obviously haven’t had tea yet with me, especially not with these moist and fluffy Lemon Cake slices!
This mouthwatering lemon cake contains not just the right amount of zesty and sweetness, it is also fluffy with a good height and is an absolute foolproof, simple-to-make recipe!
As per usual, I will be splitting down my write-up for this lemon cake recipe in the order of ingredients, taste and texture, and method!
First up, ingredients!
The ingredients are all really simple and straight forward. In addition, in the scenario of different sized lemons, I have measured the exact amount of juice I used in this particular recipe so that you can achieve the exact same outcome as I am!
The zest is not measured simply because although it is an important factor, the zest of even a small lemon should be sufficient!
I am not using lemon essence or flavouring here because lemons are easily available at where I live in! If you are using that, I am sorry but I can’t give you the exact amount to be used. In order to still achieve that bright yellow, you can consider adding just a wee couple of drops of yellow colouring. Do not be too generous with the colouring though, for the batter is already yellow itself and too much yellow will certainly look odd to the eyes although not to the mouth!
Next on, the taste and texture.
I have already mentioned it is mouthwatering! The only thing I can on is that it is simply addictive and delicious and not too sweet. If you find it too sweet or too sour for your liking, simply adjust it according to your preference, no harm!
For the texture, here is a crumb shot! It is basically crumbly,rich yet holds it structure well, achieving a crumble-in-your mouth texture!
Last but not least, the method!
There is really nothing wow or rocket science here, it is a simple creaming method! Just make sure to leave all your ingredients at room temperature, INCLUDING THE LEMON! This is to achieve the nicest outcome possible through the best mixing methods.
I know most of us are home bakers, but it’s always nice to strive for a good looking product as a bonus too!
Here’s a guideline for creaming cakes too in case you need it and hence for your easy reference:
I have too many holes in my cake (My Cake Mixing Guidelines)
Without further ado, the recipe that we have all been waiting for!
Lemon Cake Recipe
by Javier Tan July-22-2018
Fluffy, moist and nicely tangy. This is a perfectly simple cake to pair with tea. It is absolutely refreshing.
- 1/2 Cup or 115g Unsalted Butter, softened at Room Temperature
- 3/4 Cup or 150g Granulated White Sugar
- 1 and 1/2 Cups or 180g All Purpose/Plain Flour, Sifted
- Lemon Zest of One lemon
- 2 Tablespoons + 2 Teaspoons or 35ml Lemon Juice, Room Temperature
- 1 Teaspoon or 4g Baking Powder, Sifted
- 1/4 Teaspoon or 1.4g Table Salt
- 1/3 Cup + 1 Tablespoon or 95ml Full Cream Milk, Room Temperature
- 2 Large Eggs, Room Temperature, 55g each
- 1/2 Teaspoon or 2.5ml Vanilla Extract or 5ml of Vanilla Essence
- Couple of drops of Yellow food colouring (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C and line your 8 x 8 inches baking tray with parchment paper.
- Beat the unsalted butter slightly for a couple of minutes to fluff it up and loosen it.
- Add in the sugar to the butter and cream both together until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs one by one, mixing well after each addition. Mixing well is important at this stage!
- Add in the vanilla extract, lemon zest, lemon juice and salt and mix well.
- Mix in the milk and mix well. Mix in the yellow food colouring after the milk is mixed in if using.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour and baking powder and mix well.
- Fold in the sifted flour and baking powder mixture into the batter and stop once incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Transfer the batter to your lined baking tray and hit it against the counter a few times to dislodge excessive air bubbles.
- Bake the cake for about 22-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool at room temperature for an hour before serving. This cake tastes best after being stored overnight at room temperature. Store in the refrigerator for a cooling touch to the mouth when you eat it!
- Prep time:
- Cook time:
- Total time:
- Yield: 1 8 x 8 Inches Cake
- Store at room temperature for up to 3 days. If placed in the fridge, it will be slightly hardened. I like mine served in the fridge!
- If you would like to be updated for more recipes which I am sharing, do check out my Instagram, Facebook Page, or YouTube 🙂 Thank you so much for all of your support! Feel free to tag me or link back here, I welcome and appreciate it very very much!
- Do take note that if your cake has small little holes in it, use this link as suggested in the write up to help you.
- Feel free to ask me questions even if it is not my recipe! Happy to help and share!
– Bakeomaniac, Javier Tan