Now, into the flavours of these Chocolate Cranberry Shortbread Cookies. I do prefer to add some well chopped up nuts and chocolate bits into these cookies for a melty, and balanced flavour. Additionally, the use of nuts do give additional crunch and textures. It’s important to take note however, chopping and shaping these would be more challenging with the use of nuts as these are hard and bulky.
These still taste good with cranberries alone. For Chocolate Cranberry Shortbread Cookies made using only cranberries, they tend to be easier to shape.
Should you not be satisfied with the shape you have created, simply merge them into a ball of dough again and restart from there!
Regardless of what fillings you use, do make sure not to overbake these as the fillings could burn within the cookies easily.
Chocolate Cranberry Shortbread Recipe
by Javier Tan December-30-2021
These Chcolate Cranberry Shortbreads are buttery without being too sweet, with a nice kick of cocoa! Fit for any occasion.
- 1 Cup or 225g Butter, Unsalted
- 1 Cup or 115g of Powdered Sugar, Sifted
- Pinch of of Salt
- 2 Tsps or 10ml of Vanilla Essence
- 2 and 1/4 Cups or 270g of All-Purpose Flour, Sifted
- 1/2 Cup or 45g of Cocoa Powder, Sifted
- 1/2 Cup or 50g of Cranberries, Chopped
- Approx 1/2 Cup or 30g of Assorted Nuts (Optional, harder to slice if used)
- Approx 1/3 Cup or 40g of Chocolate Chunks (Optional, harder to slice if used)
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C or 350 F and line your baking tray with parchment paper.
- Then, cream together the butter and sugar until well-combined (about 2 minutes).
- Next, whisk in the vanilla and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, combine the sifted flour, sifted cocoa powder, cranberries, nuts and chocolate.
- Then, fold in the dry ingredient mixture into the butter sugar mixture until well-combined and consistent.
- Shape according to instructions in blog post. For the rolling method (log / rectangle), refrigerate for an hour before shaping in a large piece of parchment paper and slicing.
- Slice 2cm thick, and bake for 10.5 to 13 minutes or until the shortbreads are darkened and cranberries are duller (but not burnt).
- Once done, let it rest for 30 minutes before storing in an airtight container.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Prep time: 2 hours
- Cook time: 30 mins
- Total time: 2 hours 30 mins
- Yield: 40 Rich and Fragrant Chocolate Cranberry Shortbreads
- If you would like to be updated for more recipes which I strive to create to perfection for sharing and for free, do check out my Instagram, Facebook Page, or YouTube 🙂 Thank you so much for all of your support! Feel free to tag me or link back here!
- Store well at room temperature for at least two weeks.
- A video recipe is available here (click).
- Please do not copy and paste the recipe without my permission, but feel free to link back here!
– Bakeomaniac, Javier Tan