I always have a liking for more neutral, and predictable flavours. Not only would these flavours be easily accepted, they are perfect for any time of the day. Therefore, an earthy combination of coffee and cinnamon really takes the cake (pun intended).
However, one thing that is more subjective is the use of a brown sugar cinnamon layer. I thought that adding it provides a really unique spin to the cake, and a punch of flavours. As such, the batter uses less sugar so that the cake won’t be too sweet.
Nonetheless, I leave it up to you to use the layer. Alternatively, you could add slightly more sugar to the batter and mix in some walnuts if avoiding the sugar cinnamon layer!
The making of this cinnamon coffee cake is really simple and foolproof. Additionally, the boldness of each flavour can be easily controlled depending on your preference. Personally, I prefer a stronger cinnamon flavour with coffee as the background. Feel free to toggle around!
Without further ado, the recipe for my Cinnamon Coffee Cake!
Cinnamon Coffee Cake Recipe
by Javier Tan August-13-2022
An earthy, platabale combination of flavours, this Cinnamon Coffee Cake is perfect for any time of the day!
- 1/2 Cup or 120g of Unsalted Butter, Softened at Room Temp
- 1/2 Cup or 100g of White Sugar (You can add more if you prefer a sweeter cake)
- 3/4 Cup or 160ml of Milk, Room Temp
- 1 Tbspn of Coffee Granules (You can use more for a bolder flavour)
- 2 Eggs, large, 55g each
- 1 and 1/2 Teaspoon or 6g of Baking Powder
- 1 and 1/2 Cup or 180g of All-Purpose Flour, Sifted
- 1/3 Cup or Approx 80g of Finely Chopped Walnuts (Optional, not used in image)
- 1/4 Tsp or 1.25ml Vanilla Essence
- 3/4 Tsp or 3.75ml of Coffee Emulco / Flavouring (Optional)
Brown Sugar Cinnamon Layer:
- 1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/3 Cup or 70g of Brown Sugar
- 2 Tbspns or 30g of Flour
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C and line your 8 x 8 inches baking tray with parchment paper.
- Firstly, prepare the coffee mixture by dissolving the coffee granules into milk and set aside to cool.
- Then, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Next, whisk in the two eggs.
- Whisk in coffee flavouring, vanilla and salt until batter if of a single consistency.
- Beat in the coffee milk mixture in two halves, until well incorporated.
- Then, sift and fold in the flour, baking powder, and finely chopped nuts if using, until a thick cake batter is formed.
- In a separate bowl, mix together brown sugar, cinnamon and flour.
- Transfer half the cake batter into the tray, then top off with the brown sugar cinnamon mixture. Finally, top it off with the remaining half. This can be adjusted accordingly.
- Bake until browned or approx 36 – 40 minutes. The cake will shrink slightly from the edges.
- Set aside to cool before serving!
- Prep time: 3 hours
- Cook time: 20 mins
- Total time: 3 hours 20 mins
- Yield: 1 x Fragrant Cinnamon Coffee Cake
- If you would like to be updated for more recipes which I strive to create to perfection for sharing and for free, do check out my Instagram, Facebook Page, or YouTube 🙂 Thank you so much for all of your support! Feel free to tag me or link back here!
- Store at room temp for up to 5 days, or in the fridge for up to a week. If refrigerated, leave at room temp for 40 minutes before serving.
- Please do not copy and paste the recipe without my permission, but feel free to link back here!
– Bakeomaniac, Javier Tan