The making of this Mango Passion Fruit Cake is relatively simple, with some shortcuts that you can take. Firstly, you will have to make two cake layers which is rather straightforward. In this step, all you have to do is to whisk the dry ingredients into the wet.
Then, you can proceed to prepare your fruits (mangoes) and whipped cream. For the passion fruit component, I am using ready made passion fruit jam from Fruttose which makes things way more convenient. However, you can also consider making it from scratch by puree-ing fresh passion fruits.
Finally, you can get to assembling the cake before enjoying it! For myself, I built a small well of whipped cream to contain the puree. However, you will have to be cautious on how much whipped cream to add as too much can make slicing later on difficult.
For more visuals on how each step will look like, be sure to check out the video!
Without further ado, the recipe.
Mango Passion Fruit Cake Recipe
by Javier Tan May-27-2023
Tangy and lightly sweet, this Mango Passion Fruit Cake is a dream come true! The vanilla cake and whipped cream are great complements.
For Mango Passion Fruit Cake:
- 1/2 Cup or 120g of Unsalted Butter, Melted (Vegetable Oil or half each works too)
- 1 Egg, approx 50g
- 2/3 Cup or 160ml of Milk, Room Temp
- 1/8 Cup or 40ml of Water
- 1 Tsp or 5ml of Vanilla
- Salt (optional, a pinch will do)
- 1/2 Cup + 2 Tbspns or 120g of Granulated White Sugar
- 1 and 2/3 Cup or 200g of Plain Flour, Sifted
- 1 and 1/2 Tspn or 6g of Baking Powder, Sifted
For Decorating (Passion Fruit Filling and Whip Cream):
- Approx 3/4 Cup or 150g of Whipping Cream (Up to 200g)
- 1/2 a Mango, sliced into cubes for the in-between layer
- Passion fruit puree / jam, I used approx 150 – 200g, ready-made. Other purees and jams work too! Alternatively, you can make the filling from scratch.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C and line your 6 / 7 inch round baking trays with parchment paper.
- Firstly, mix together the wet ingredients (melted butter / oil, egg, milk, water and sugar) and whisk until it forms a single consistency.
- Then, place all the dry ingredients into the wet (sugar, sifted flour and sifted baking powder) and whisk until it thickens.
- Distribute the batter into two. Bake for 25 – 29 minutes or until golden brown and when a toothpick is inserted, only a couple of crumbs can be observed.
- Then, set aside to cool. In the meanwhile, prepare the cubed mangoes and whipped cream.
- Once all the components have cooled to room temperature, assemble your Mango Passion Fruit Cake.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Prep time: 30 mins
- Cook time: 1 hour 30 mins
- Total time: 2 hours
- Yield: 1 x Sweet and Tangy 2-Layer Mango Passion Fruit Cake
- If you would like to be updated for more recipes which I strive to create to perfection for sharing and for free, do check out my Instagram, Facebook Page, or YouTube 🙂 Thank you so much for all of your support! Feel free to tag me or link back here!
- Serve fresh at room temperature (on the day itself) or in a fridge (up to a week).
- If serving with extra mangoes, try to hide them within the fruit puree to maintain their colour and freshness.
- Please do not copy and paste the recipe without my permission, but feel free to link back here!
– Bakeomaniac, Javier Tan