Secondly, this cake requires “marbling” which is distinctive of the Marble Cake. In order to marble, simply take portions of butter cake batter and chocolate cake batter at alternative places. Then, use a plastic knife to swirl it for pattern creation. However, do be careful not to swirl too much or the patterns will not be distinctive!
Personally, I placed a thin layer of butter cake batter. Next, I placed six spoonfuls of chocolate cake batter at six different ends before filling the remaining space with vanilla cake batter.
This cake is really rewarding to make as all my family members love it! I will be leaving these two links here for your reference too:
1. Original Butter Cake recipe, which this recipe is derived from!
2. What to do if your butter cakes did not live up to your expectations.
Without further ado, let me share with you, the recipe!
Marble Cake Recipe
by Javier Tan May-10-2020
This soft and fluffy Marble Cake comes with a good mixture of vanilla and chocolate portions. It becomes even softer and more fragrant overnight!
- 1 Cup or 225g Unsalted Butter, softened at room temperature
- 3/4 Cup + 1 Tablespoons or 160g Granulated White Sugar
- 1 and 3/4 Cups or 210g All Purpose Flour, Sifted
- 1 Teaspoon or 4g Baking Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon or 1.4g Table Salt
- 2 and 1/2 Teaspoons or 18g Cocoa Powder, Unsweetened
- 1/3 Cup or 90ml Full Cream Milk, Room Temperature
- 3 Large Eggs, Room Temperature, 55g each
- 1 Teaspoon or 5ml Vanilla Extract or 10ml of Vanilla Essence
- Preheat your oven to 160 degrees C / 320F and line your 8 inches round baking tray with parchment paper.
- Then, beat the unsalted butter slightly for a couple of minutes to fluff it up and loosen it.
- Next, cream butter and and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs, mixing well after each addition.
- Then, add in the milk, vanilla extract and salt and mix well.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder and fold them using a spoon / spatula until the dry ingredients are incorporated (approx 30s).
- Divide the batter into approximately two halves, with one halve having a slightly smaller portion.
- Fold in sifted cocoa powder to the smaller halve.
- To marble, place a thin layer of butter cake batter. Then place six spoonfuls of chocolate batter all over, and fill up the space with the remaining butter cake batter. Make “S”-shaped swirls using a small knife.
- Bake the cake for about 52-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. If nearing an hour and the toothpick comes out with just very fine lumps, it is considered fully baked as well.
- Cool at room temperature for an hour before serving. This cake softens and tastes better after being stored at room temperature for 24 hours.
- Prep time:20 mins
- Cook time:50 mins
- Total time:1 hour 10 mins
- Yield: 1 8 Inch Round Cake
- If you would like to be updated for more recipes which I strive to create to perfection for sharing and for free, do check out my Instagram, Facebook Page, or YouTube 🙂 Thank you so much for all of your support! Feel free to tag me or link back here, I would greatly appreciate it!
- Best eaten within 5 days, stored at room temperature in an airtight container!
- Feel free to ask if you need help!
– Bakeomaniac, Javier Tan