It always surprises me still that these are so easy to make! Furthermore, these Hojicha Chocolate Chip Cookies make such pleasant gifts and it’s a relatively rare and unique (since Matcha and Green Tea have been really popular).
For a finishing touch, you can add a touch of sea salt like I did. Doing so goes beyond superficiality: it adds yet another dimension of flavour (saltiness on top of sweetness and bitterness!). Generally, adults would love these Hojicha Chocolate Chip Cookies for its complexity, and well-balanced flavovurs.
Without further ado, the recipe!
Hojicha Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
by Javier Tan January-08-2022
These Hojicha Chocolate Chip Cookies come with a complex and enjoyable flavour combination of sweetness and bitterness!
- 1/2 Cup or 115g Butter, Unsalted. Melted and cooled to room temp
- 2 Eggs, Large, 55g ea
- 1/2 Cup + 2 Tbspn or 130g of Granulated White Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon or 4g of Baking Powder
- 2 Tablespoons or aprox 20g of Hojicha Powder
- 1 and 1/4 Cup or 135g of All-Purpose / Plain Flour
- Pinch of Table Salt (into the batter)
- Pinch of Sea Salt (for finishing touch)
- 1/3 Cup or approx 70g of Chocolate Chips
- Firstly, whisk together the butter and sugar together until well-combined.
- Next, whisk in the salt and eggs.
- In a separate large bowl, combine the flour (sift if lumpy), baking powder, hojicha powder and chocolate chips.
- Then, fold the dry ingredients into the wet until the batter is of a single, thick consistency.
- Place batter in the refrigerator for 20 minutes. Nearing the end of the 20 minutes, pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees C and line your baking trays with parchment paper.
- Scoop tablespoonfuls of batter (2 inches gap between them as they do spread) and bake these cookies for 9 – 12 minutes until they have a dark green hue.
- Once done, let it rest for 30 minutes before storing in an airtight container.
- Serve, top with sea salt if desired and enjoy!
- Prep time: 30 mins
- Cook time: 30 mins
- Total time: 1 hour
- Yield: 18 – 24 Fragrant Hojicha Chocolate Chip Cookies
- If you would like to be updated for more recipes which I strive to create to perfection for sharing and for free, do check out my Instagram, Facebook Page, or YouTube 🙂 Thank you so much for all of your support! Feel free to tag me or link back here!
- Store well at room temperature for up to 5 days.
- Please do not copy and paste the recipe without my permission, but feel free to link back here!
– Bakeomaniac, Javier Tan