Anyway, you can definitely use a chocolate cupcake of your own desire and just follow the assembly instructions for this these S’mores cupcakes! As such, there won’t be much elaboration on that.
Or maybe because I can’t wait to start on how messy it is. MY GOODNESS. Please read through this before placing marshmallows as toppings so that you can plan ahead and save yourself that mess.
You can imagine the horror on my face when I actually place the marshmallows on top of the cupcakes and what happened was that because of the melting, they drooped down and melted all over that pretty muffin tray of mine. BECAUSE OF THAT, there was so much more clean up to do. Not a nice way to round up a lazy Sunday, from a hectic weekend!
On top of which, the marshmallow will definitely not melt completely and you will have to use the back of a spoon to mash it down! That will mean an extra spoon to wash too. Okay I think I am really whiny today.
As S’mores flavour profile consists of marshmallows, graham crackers and chocolate, let’s not just remember about those nice, fluffy marshmallows.
For the graham crackers, I substituted it with digestive crackers. You can do that! It will still be alright and it will still be really nice.
In order to create crumbs, put the biscuits in a nice small little plastic bag ( such as a ziploc ) and use a rolling pin or your bare hands to crush it. Do not use a low quality plastic bag or ziploc bag as shards of biscuits might actually tear through the plastic bag, creating yet another mess. Okay, thankfully this did not happen to me.
For the chocolate, I added chunks of chocolate ( by chopping up a chocolate bar ) and then I also created some chocolate curls by scraping the knife against the back of the chocolate bar. You can go google up about that! I went to googled how to create chocolate curls, admittedly! No shame!
PLEASE however, make sure that your working equipment are all dry. My knife was slightly wet as I was chopping up something else and it did not have the full opportunity to dry. As such, some of the chocolate I used actually started smearing and dissolving. What a mess. This is just like having not waterproof mascara smearing all over your eyes, chocolate version. Of course, you might wonder how I know so much about mascara, but that will be another story for some other day.
Nevertheless, these are really delicious. I just hope that you will be able to save the mess unlike me and have a happier baking session!
Also, I would just be honest that because of all that mess, I gave up decorating after the fourth cupcake. The other eight only have a marshmallow on top!
In case you’re curious, this recipe didn’t take as much experimentation as the others as I just used a standard chocolate cupcake recipe I have and modified it through the toppings, hence my lack of expectation and planning here!
Onward to the recipe!
by Javier Tan August-13-2017
These S’mores Cupcakes extremely tasty and will definitely make you pick an oven over a campfire!
- 1 and 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Cup Granulated White Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Lightly Packed Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder, Sifted
- 1 Teapsoon Baking Soda
- 3/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Table Salt
- 2 Large Eggs, weighing 55-60g, at room temperature
- 1/2 Cup Melted Butter or Flavourless Vegetable Oil
- 1/3 Cup Full Cream Milk, at room temperature
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 100g or about 1/2 Cup ( for chocolate chips ) Melted Chocolate, cooled to room temperature
- 12 Large Marshmallows
- Up to own preference Chocolate Bar
- Up to own preference Graham or Digestive Crackers
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C and line your muffin tray with paper liners.
- Combine both the fats ( oil or butter ) and the chocolate and melt them together. Leave to cool to room temperature.
- Add in the two sugars to the chocolate mixture and stir until well dissolved.
- Add in the two eggs and stir until well mixed.
- Add in baking soda, baking powder, vanilla extract and salt to the mixture and stir well.
- Add in the milk and stir until well combined.
- Add in the sifted cocoa powder and all purpose flour and stir until there are no more visible lumps.
- Divide the batter equally into 12 portions.
- Bake for about 17-19 Minutes in the oven. At this point, a toothpick inserted into the middle should come out clean.
- Take out the muffin tray and immediately place one marshmallow on the top of each cupcake and press it down gently.
- Return it to the oven immediately and bake for another 2 minutes.
- Leaving it on the wire rack and working while its hot, use the back of the spoon to press the marshmallow down to spread it.
- Add some digestive biscuits crumb and chocolate chunks or curls to finish garnishing.
- Prep time: 30 mins
- Cook time: 30 mins
- Total time: 1 hour
- Yield: 12 Cupcakes
- It keeps well for up to three days at room temperature in an airtight container.
- It is going to be very messy to bake this if you do not plan ahead.
- It tastes better when made with butter than vegetable oil.
- To pin this, you can click here
- If you would like to be updated for more recipes which I am sharing, do check out my Instagram, Facebook Page, or YouTube 🙂 Thank you so much for all of your support! Feel free to tag me or link back here, I welcome and appreciate it very very much!
Bakeomaniac, Javier Tan!