Nothing beats nice, savoury and melty Grilled Cheese Sandwiches. That melty cheese layer sandwiched by two crispy and nicely browned toasted bread is to die for! Don’t you agree?!
Fun fact, this is actually the very first leg of my cooking adventures. That’s why I am making something so simple, I mean what’s simpler than these Grilled Cheese Sandwiches? I paired them up with scrambled eggs to make a wholesome brunch!
I am pretty sure you can do it too. And trust me, before I kicked off, I have almost no experience in cooking at all! This is part of a series so that you can take up the courage and explore cooking with me! Maybe I should call this series Cooking With Javier, hehehe. Or is that too cheesy? You get it you get it?
I should stop making lousy puns!
I am not going to teach you how to make scrambled eggs today. My main focus today will just be on the sandwiches which I am sure you can do it too!
This is really simple and you most probably got all the ingredients on hand already.
Here are just some precautions to take against the booboos that we might make along the way, so let me first state them out so that we can be as successful as possible!!
1) Please butter those slices of bread generously! The sides that are being cooked that is. They allow better heat absorption for the browning of the bread.
2) Do not use too high heat for quick cooking because a) the cheese won’t melt in time and b) your bread slices will be burnt with the inside being too cold as the heat as not traveled well into the middle yet!
3) Don’t be too generous with the cheese or it will overflow and create a sticky mess! Also, please choose cheese that will melt, such as cheddar!
4) Use a spatula and lift the bread slightly to check if you have achieved the brownness you desire every couple of minutes! This is so that you have greater control and also it prevents you from burning the bread!
Enough of my nagging and let’s get to COOKING ( my god, my name is Bakeomaniac. maybe Cookomaniac? )!
Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
by Javier Tan October-17-2017
Nothing makes a more wholesome brunch experience than melted cheese with those warm cheese strings holding together the slices of sandwiches that you just cut!
- 2 Slices of Bread
- 2 Slices or Sufficient Shredded Amount of Cheese
- One Tablespoon or 15g Butter, preferably softened
- To Taste Salt and Pepper ( Optional )
- Any other additions such as Ham ( which I am using here )
- Place the cheese slices and ham or meat pieces on top of one piece of bread, and cover it with another. Ensure that none of the cheese or meat are poking out.
- Butter generously the top side of the bread that is going to be in contact with the frying pan later.
- Place your sandwich on the frying pan, and then proceed to cook one side, on medium heat.
- Using a metal spatula, tilt the sandwich upwards to observe the brownness of the bread every two minutes or so. I was satisfied with the brownness of mine at eight minutes.
- Before flipping over to the other side, remember to butter the bread to be in contact with the frying pan generously.
- Repeat Step 4 for the other side.
Prep time: Cook time: Total time: Yield: 1 Sandwich
- For all the advice on achieving the perfect grilled cheese, or at least one that looks like mine, is in the writing before the recipe card.
- You can definitely choose what meat you want to add in, or even herbs, pepper, salt and so on.
- Best served within an hour.
- To pin it, click here.
- Don’t hesitate to tag me on your social media or link back to this page if you like my methods and recipes!
If using this for your personal website, please contact me!
Have fun, and don’t be shy if you have any questions! 🙂
– Bakeomaniac, Javier Tan!