The most important part of this Chinese Almond Cookies recipe will be the roasting of the ground almonds. As such, make sure to roast it well and attentively to bring out the flavours from these almonds. If not roasted well, the cookies might be on the blander side.
Furthermore, I chose to top my Almond Cookies with whole roasted almonds. While this step is completely optional, I love the additional crunch that complements the crumbly texture of the cookie.
Without further ado, the recipe!
Chinese Almond Cookies Recipe
by Javier Tan January-24-2020
The aroma of these fragrant, nutty Chinese Almond Cookies will have you craving for more. Melt-in-your-mouth and crumbly, these are a must-bake!
- 1 and 1/3 Cup or 150g of All-Purpose / Plain Flour
- 1/3 Cup or 40g of Powdered Sugar (60g for sweeter version)
- 1 and 1/4 Cup or 125g of Almond Flour / Ground Almond
- 1/2 Teaspoon or 2g of Baking Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon or 1.4g of Table Salt
- 1/2 Cup or 120ml of Vegetable Oil (I use Canola / Sunflower)
- Almonds (for topping, optional)
For Egg Wash:
- 1 Egg, Beaten. Use Egg Yolk only for better colouration.
For the Cookies:
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C (no fan).
- Next, spread the ground almond on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for about 4-6 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant.
- Set aside the roasted ground almond to cool.
- Then, mix together the ground almond, powdered sugar, baking powder, salt and flour until it is well-mixed.
- Make a hold in the middle of the dry ingredients and pour in the oil.
- Whisk until a ball of dough can be formed, if the dough is too dry, add 1-2 tablespoons more of oil. I strongly recommened using your hands at this stage.
- Then, roll little balls of dough of the desired size.
- Decorate with an almond on top (optional) and then spread the egg wash over both the almond and cookie.
- Finally, bake for about 12 mins 30s to 15 mins or until golden brown. This timing is for 16 cookies on a lined baking tray with parchment paper.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Prep time: 30 mins
- Cook time: 30 mins
- Total time: 1 hour 00 mins
- Yield: Approx. 30 Crumbly Almond Cookies
- If you would like to be updated for more recipes which I strive to create to perfection for sharing and for free, do check out my Instagram, Facebook Page, or YouTube 🙂 Thank you so much for all of your support! Feel free to tag me or link back here!
- Store it room temperature in airtight container for up to at least 2 weeks!
- Please do not copy and paste the recipe without my permission, but feel free to link back here!
– Bakeomaniac, Javier Tan