Out of the hiatus, back into the fray, with these delicious and nutty Sesame Butter Cookies!
I am really inspired to share these Chinese-inspired creations with you and these Sesame Butter Cookies is one of the many. My fingers and brain do feel pretty rusty blogging and writing again after two months but I shall try to keep the write-up as simple and straight forward as possible!
What you are in for when you bake these is a very delicious and slightly crumbly butter cookie base, coated in sesame seeds!
These sesame seeds bring about a savoury dimension to the bake that makes you want one after another, making them the perfect choice to serve for a tea break or a simple snack!
No extra effort is needed on the baker’s side for the toasting of sesame seeds and all. There’s really no frills! When baking, the sesame seeds will get toasted simultaneously, bringing out its nutty flavour that is also partially infused into the cookie batter.
There is no special method of preparation here as well, it is really short, sweet and simple. Almost a one bowl recipe kind of thing! Just get ready to have your hands creamy when you have to roll these into small little balls of dough, but such interactive recipes can make baking so fun!
Let me now proceed to share the steps and ingredients behind this creation! Also, the next picture shall serve as a reference for the final product before baking!
I also hope that all my readers have been passing time well and I hope that even if you have troubles, good lessons will come from it and one day you will emerge strong from it!
Sesame Butter Cookies
by Javier Tan December-16-2018
An all-time classic with a fine balance in both the sweet and savoury department, making it a perfect snack for many!
- 1/2 Cup or 125g Unsalted Butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 and 1/4 Cup or 125g Granulated White Sugar
- 1 and 1/2 Cups or 180g All Purpose/Plain Flour, Sifted
- 1 and 1/4 Teaspoon or 5g Baking Powder, Sifted
- 1/4 Teaspoon or 1.4g Table Salt
- 1 Large Egg, 55g, at Room Temperature
- 1 Teaspoon or 5ml Vanilla Extract or 10ml of Vanilla Essence
- 100g Black and/or White Sesame Seeds, for coating
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C or 350F. Line your baking trays with baking or parchment paper.
- Cream the softened butter and sugar together until it is light and fluffy.
- Add in the egg and whisk / stir well until the egg is fully incorporated. You will see a single consistency.
- Add in the salt and vanilla, mixing well until a single colour is obtained. This will be the main batter.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the baking powder and plain flour. Sift both of them together before adding them into the batter.
- Mix in the sifted dry ingredients into the main batter until there is no longer any visible lumps of dry ingredients.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for about an hour or overnight.
- Once ready to bake, scoop tablespoonfuls (about 22g) or half tablespoonfuls (about 18g) of batter and roll them into balls using your palms.
- Drop them into the prepared bowl containing sesame seeds and roll them around using either a fork or a spoon until completely coated. Refer to picture above for finished product before placing in the oven!
- Bake them for about 13-16 minutes, depending on how brown and hard you would like your cookies to be! Do start looking out after the 12 minute mark.
- Cool for about 10-15 minutes before serving. I like to eat them warm but they taste pretty decent cooled as well! Brush with honey for a sweeter finish!
- Prep time:
- Cook time:
- Total time:
- Yield: 20-30 delicious cookies!
- Store well in an airtight container for up to a week.
- If you would like to be updated for more recipes which I strive to create to perfection for sharing, do check out my Instagram, Facebook Page, or YouTube 🙂 Thank you so much for all of your support! Feel free to tag me or link back here!
- For any questions, feel free to contact me via any of my social medias or the comment section down below 🙂
– Bakeomaniac, Javier!