Presenting one of my rarest occasions, which is the constructing of a savoury recipe! Hence presenting to you my Broccoli Cheese Muffins with Ham! Developing it was definitely an interesting challenge and I can’t wait to share how it all started!
Firstly, these Broccoli Cheese Muffins (again with Ham!), are mildly cheese-y with a nice push of aroma from the butter. In order to achieve that, the sugar content was cut back drastically with the inclusion of more savoury ingredients such as cheese and pepper.
Initially, I did not planned to include the ham at all! However, I thought that the smoked ham I added gave a new twist of dimension to the flavour profile of the muffin. Furthermore, it creates a very interesting combination; mild earthiness of the broccoli, the creamy luxury goodness of the cheese and finally, the tender smoked ham. Also, I really liked how the ham added a chewy texture. In addition, the broccoli will not be crunchy as it would be fully cooked, with textures similar to steamed broccoli.
My motivation from this recipe stems initially from my curiousity in vegetarian recipes. If you omit the ham, you will definitely attain that vegetarian recipe!
Nonetheless, a mention will definitely have to be made that these have to be eaten fresh and preferably within 24 hours. As such, I tend to bake it for breakfast or lunch events. Following which, you can definitely microwave or re-heat it again with the oven. After all, these are savoury muffins and definitely have similarities to that of a cooked meal!
In addition, should you be doing as what I have done in the picture do garnish with raw broccoli. However, do make sure they are thoroughly washed then dried to prevent bacteria growth.
Do feel free to substitute the broccoli for other suitable items, or even omit it totally if you are anti-veggie! For instance, make it just ham and cheese, and maybe substitute broccoli for tomatoes. Above all, this savoury muffin base recipe is definitely a keeper.
Without further ado, presenting to you my Broccoli Cheese Muffins!
Broccoli Cheese Muffins (with Ham!) Recipe
by Javier Tan September-22-2019
These savoury Broccoli Cheese Muffins paired with ham to give amazing textures. Relish in the peppery creaminess backed with neutral and smoky flavours!
- 1/3 Cup or 80g of Unsalted Butter, Melted
- 2/3 Cup or 160g of Milk, Room Temperature
- 1 Large Egg (weighing 55-60g Approx)
- 2/3 Cup or 120g of Ham, Chopped Finely
- 2/3 Cup or 45g of Broccoli, Chopped Finely
- 1 Cup or 160g of Shredded Cheese (I used Mozzarella)
- 1 and 1/2 Cup or 180g of All-Purpose / Plain Flour
- 3 Tablespoons or 37.5g of White Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 Teaspoon or a generous pinch of Black Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon or 3g of Table Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon or 2g of Baking Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon or 1.5 of Baking Soda
- 2 Tablespoons or 20g of Shredded Cheese (to garnish before baking)
- Finely Chopped Broccoli (after baking)
- Firstly, preheat the oven to 180 degrees C or 350F and line your muffin tray with paper liners.
- Then, whisk together the melted butter, milk and egg until a single consistency is attained.
- Next, whisk in the sugar, black pepper and salt.
- Add in the finely chopped ham, finely chopped broccoli and shredded cheese and mix well.
- Next, mix together baking powder, baking soda and flour in a separate bowl and sift.
- After that, transfer the dry flour mixture into the main batter and fold in until no dry ingredients can be observed.
- Divide it into 12 equal portions into either the muffin liners or a greased non-stick muffin pan. Top the batter off with a pinch of shredded cheese for a nice browned finish.
- Bake for approx. 20-23 minutes or until nicely golden brown
- Finally, let cool for 10 minutes before garnishing it with raw broccoli and serving.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Prep time: 3
- Cook time: 2
- Total time: 0
- Yield: 10-12 Regular sized muffins
- If you would like to be updated for more recipes which I strive to create to perfection for sharing and for free, do check out my Instagram, Facebook Page, or YouTube 🙂 Thank you so much for all of your support! Feel free to tag me or link back here!
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Optimally, eat it within 24 hours!
- Do note that the flavour of the broccoli will get stronger the longer you let it sit after baking!
– Bakeomaniac, Javier Tan