Another year means more challenges that I will seek out for myself. This time, it is the creation of more Chinese New Year related recipe, and hence, presenting to you one of my favourite treats, but in a cookie form! Presenting my creative and addictive creation, Pork Floss Cookies!
Throughout the entire post, I will be referring to the floss I am using as pork floss (my family calls it Bak Hu, which means meat floss in Hokkien ). You can definitely use other substitutes such as chicken floss, fish floss and vegetarian floss. Just not dental floss! Yes, I have a poor sense of humour!
This recipe will teach you how to make these Pork Floss Cookies. The buttery and slightly crumbly (but not soft) cookies will encase the savoury pork floss to make an interesting sweet and salty cookie that your family will enjoy!
Do note that the pork floss will definitely become chewier after baking.
The floss here is used to provide a new dimension to the flavour and texture of the typical butter cookie!
This recipe will teach you how to make these Pork Floss Cookies. The buttery and slightly crumbly (but not soft) cookies will encase the savoury pork floss to make an interesting sweet and salty cookie that your family will enjoy! Do note that the pork floss will definitely become chewier after baking. The floss here is used to provide a new dimension to the flavour and texture of the typical butter cookie!
As per my recipe style, I shall proceed with taste and texture, method of preparation and ingredients.
For the taste and texture, I think I have given out almost all of it in the prior paragraphs! Apart from being crumbly and more towards the crispy side, it is chewy with a salty and sweet combination. You can definitely add a third dimension to it by topping it with sesame seeds before baking. It will definitely add an additional crunch and nuttier dimension!
Next up, the method of preparation. Again, simple! In this recipe, I only used a spoon and the mixing of all my ingredients (pre-measured!) took only 10 minutes at most. Also an update, one of my readers told me that she tried chilling it and she got crispier cookies! You can consider chilling the dough for 30 minutes before baking!
Last but not least, the ingredients.
You need not use premium brands of pork floss here. They tasted pretty similar after baking. What is essential here is the Full Cream Milk Powder.
Nonetheless, you can let the Milk Powder sit out. The taste will be missing a flavour that I intended, but I believe it still tastes whole!
Let me now share the recipe!
Pork Floss Cookies
by Javier Tan January-27-2019
A divine snack with a fine balance between sweet and salty with an addictive twist to it!
- 1/2 Cup or 115g Unsalted Butter, softened at room temperature
- 1/3 Cup or 42g Powdered / Icing Sugar, Sifted
- approx 2 Tablespoons or 20g Cornstarch / Corn flour, Sifted
- 1 Cup or 120g All Purpose/Plain Flour, Sifted
- 1 Tablespoon and 1 Teaspoon or 15g Full Cream Milk Powder, Sifted
- Approx 2/3 Cup or 70g Pork / Chicken / Fish Floss
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C or 350F. Line your baking trays with parchment paper.
- Beat the softened butter for a minute to loosen it.
- Sift in the full cream milk powder and powdered sugar. Mix well with a spoon until there are no longer any visible traces of dry ingredients.
- Add in the pork floss, but do not mix yet.
- Sift in the all purpose flour and cornstarch and then mix it all together until a dough comes together.
- Taking small portions, shape them into balls and place them on the baking tray. I took 12g per portion. They will spread no more than a cm.
- Bake for about 9 – 13 minutes or until lightly browned. I took 11 for an average batch.
- Leave the cookies to cool once done!
- Bottled them up and enjoy!
- Prep time:
- Cook time:
- Total time:
- Yield: 20-30 Savoury Cookies!
- Store well in an airtight container for up to 1.5 weeks. Tastes better after the first two days ( in my personal opinion! ) Also, one of my friends who tried the recipe refrigerated the dough before baking, and it seems to be crispier!
- If you would like to be updated for more recipes which I strive to create to perfection for sharing, do check out my Instagram, Facebook Page, or YouTube 🙂 Thank you so much for all of your support! Feel free to tag me or link back here!
- For any questions, feel free to contact me via any of my social medias or the comment section down below 🙂
– Bakeomaniac, Javier!