As the heat of Chinese New Year baking is toning down, I thought to make a creative venture to make what I like. I decided to make these Blossom Jam Cookies! These are rose red coloured cookies with jam in the center (just like thumbprint cookies). These are baked so as to resemble the flowers of spring!
In all honesty, I feel that there’s nothing special about this recipe. These Blossom Jam Cookies are just as it is. Utilizing my pineapple tart mould and pineapple tart recipe, I modified it to suit the purpose for this. Personally, I enjoyed baking these as its something different from the traditional bakes but I am not too sure if anyone appreciates it!
Nonetheless, its just a mini art project in my kitchen to get my creative juices running. As such, I still decided to blog about it and leaving the recipe here should anyone be interested in baking these too!
One interesting modification I foresee to making these Blossom Jam Cookies is to make them sakura-flavoured. This idea will definitely be something I will be exploring in the near future.
I am going to keep this blog post short for whoever who’s reading it. Hope you enjoy the idea and the recipe. Wishing you an amazing Chinese New Year to come soon!
Blossom Jam Cookies Recipe
by Javier Tan January-19-2020
Inspired by the flowers of spring, these red-coloured Blossom Jam Cookies are crumbly with a fruit jam center to look like flowers!
- 1/2 Cup or 115g of Unsalted Butter, Softened at Room Temperature
- 3/4 Cup or 170g of All-Purpose / Plain Flour
- 1 Tablespoon or 10g of Cornstarch / Cornflour
- 2 Tablespoon or 35g of Granulated White Sugar
- 2 Tablespoon or 20g of Milk Powder (Strongly recommended to have)
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1/4 Tsp or 1.4g of Table Salt
- 1 Tsp or 5ml Vanilla Essence
- Fruit Jam (approx 100g)
- 10-15 Drops of Red Food Colouring
- Cream together softened butter and sugar until it is light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Then, add in salt, egg and vanilla before mixing well. After which, add red food colouring until the desired colour is obtained.
- Sift the flour, milk powder and cornstarch.
- Next, fold in the dry ingredients into the mixture containing the well-mixed butter, sugar and egg.
- Once completed, refrigerate the batter for 25 minutes. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 160 degrees C (or 325F).
- Then, flour a clearn surface and roll out the dough until about 0.5cm thickness.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut out the dough and transfer to baking tray. Place jam in the center.
- Bake for about 12min 45 to 13min 45s or until it is starting to brown on the edges.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Prep time: 60
- Cook time: 20
- Total time: 1
- Yield: Approx 30 Blossom Jam Cookies
- If you would like to be updated for more recipes which I strive to create to perfection for sharing and for free, do check out my Instagram, Facebook Page, or YouTube 🙂 Thank you so much for all of your support! Feel free to tag me or link back here!
- Best eaten within 5 days!
- Feel free to ask if you need help!
– Bakeomaniac, Javier Tan